Friday, June 19, 2009

Cooking Dictionary

How's about a cooking dictionary. Oh - don't act like you do not need one. Unless, of course - you are super-woman Martha Stewart. lol* I know I need one and its helpful when you come across a recipe with far out phrases. Such as: blanch, fold into, and so on.

Everyone needs a little expert advise from time to time. I don't know about some of you - but I did not go to cooking school to be a pastry chef or queen of the desserts. I require assistance every once in a while.

Okay. Let me just test ya a little bit to see if ya know this one. Before placing a cheesecake in the oven - ya need to put it in a "bain-marie. Do ya know the answer to this one? I didn't think so. Unless of course, you grew up around that type of knowledge in the kitchen. ;) I personally have not.

Here's the answer:

Bain-marie - The French term for the cooking technique we call awater bath . It consists of placing a container (baking pan, bowl, soufflé dish, etc.) of food in a large, shallow pan of warm water, which surrounds the food with gentle heat. The food may be cooked in this manner either in an oven or on top of a range. This technique is designed to cook delicate dishes such as custards, sauces and mousses without breaking or curdling them. It can also be used to keep cooked foods warm.


Now - you can get your knowledge from websites such as: Http://www.cooksrecipes.com

Here's another one: www.cafecreosote.com

www.alphadictionary.com

www.recipegoldmine.com

www.goodcooking.com

Happy learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment